It´s been a few days since my first post so it´s time for a little update.
I am currently living in Malta, where I pamper my boyfriend with all the desserts and all the food I prepare for us, or for anybody who is hungry. (And, what´s more, my honey is the one, who makes delicious drinks for me :) Both of us are obsessed with delicious food, which not only looks look great but tastes amazing. If I could, I´d spend hours in the kitchen, cooking and baking for people.Or myself... But last week it changed. We´ve decided to take a little trip to one of the food heavens - Sicily. We stayed in a beautiful hotel in Taormina, from where we had a breathtaking view at Mt. Etna. In the morning, we had delicious breakfast, typical for Italy and its islands. An apple cake, an almond cake, freshly baked croissants with different kinds of jams, freshly brewed coffee and cup of breakfast tea. If that is how heaven looks like, I am on my way there!
We went to a few restaurants, tried our best pizza ( and I mean it! ), we´ve had Italian pasta, the thickest and tastiest gelato, and thousand of other meals and desserts. After we got home, I felt like a pinguin. I couldn´t move or walk fast, because I was simply stuffed with all the exquisite food we ate :-) So, if you ever go to Sicily, eat, eat, eat!
But, to the point.Before our little trip, I made a cake with one of my favourite flavours, dulce de leche. If you ever have a can of this sweet condensed milk on hand, don´t hesitate and put together a cake, which people will be fighting for!
Amazingly soft, with a hint of cinnamon and dulce de leche inside,topped up with crunchy crumble on top. Have you fallen for it yet? :)
Dulce de leche Cake:
(Inspired by one of the best Slovak food blogs, www.dulce-de-leche.blog.com)
1/2 cup butter, soften
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used my homemade vanilla extract)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream, or substitute with a greek yoghurt
Crumble:
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar, or substitute with white sugar
1 tbls cinnamon
1 tsp salt
3/4 butter, soften
3/4 cup Dulce de Leche
Dulce de Leche sauce:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbls Dulce de Leche
milk
Preheat oven to 180°C.Butter your round baking tin.
Mix all of the dry ingredients in one bowl for the batter. In another bowl mix sugar with butter until smooth, then add eggs( one at a time) and vanilla extract.
Start adding one part of flour mixture into your butter mixture, mix well and then add a little bit of sour cream. Continue adding flour mixture and sour cream until you have nothing left, mixing well after each addition. Pour the batter into prepared baking tin.
Now, let´s prepare your crumble topping from all your ingredients, except Dulce de Leche.It is really easy, just mix them all by your hand, so you end up with crumbles. Now, top the batter in a baking tin with 1/2 of the crumble topping, then pour Dulce de Leche on top of it and finish up with the rest of your crumble.
Bake for about 45-50 minutes and when done, let it cool.
In meantime, prepare your sauce. Put sugar and Dulce de Leche into a small pan, add a splash of milk and heat up until you have a really nice and smooth sauce. Then the best part- decorate your cake with the lovely caramel sauce and enjoy your piece of cake with cup of your favourite tea or simply with cofee.
Eat your heart out!

No comments:
Post a Comment