Because I believe in mornings.. (I think I made a chat about that earlier..)
I believe that single morning can change your life.
I believe that we should be spoiled by our morning meals.
I believe that breakfast is the best part of day..
-- Wheather the wildlife´s waking you up outside your window or the cat´s yowling to be let in, take a moment to listen to the dawn chorus and smile at the day ahead. Shake those cobwegs away - this morning´s important, it´s where your life begins.. --
When you get home after an exhausting day at work, you want nothing else but homemade meal, you want to take a deep breath, put yourself in a hot bath, cuddle up in your pj´s under a warm blanket, release your mind, relax your body and have a good night sleep.. And then comes the morning.. When you find yourself waking up by the sun rays which are trying to break into your bedroom through window, you are slowly waking up and realising there is a new and beautiful day in front of you..there comes another day for you to shine and TO BE.
And just a little bit before jumping to the new day, you sit down, brew yourself some coffee and have breakfast that lifts you up.
Well, at least this is my morning..when reading this back to me, it sounds like a something you would see in the McDonald´s commercial.ergh! But, you get the picture about my mornings..
Every morning I´m grateful for what I have and who I am. Every morning I smile at the day ahead of me. And every day, I get superexcited about my breakfast (People who know me will understand..)
I really think that you´ll be reading more and more of my breakfast posts, since I think that first meal of our day shouldn´t come out of a box.
I simply love how a single serving of porridge (not the one where oats are sunk under hot water!) can be packed with so many healthy and nutritious foods! And plus, the feeling when you can sit down with your family and celebrate a new day together is just priceless. Heaven.
So here I start with my Breakfast Rhubarb Cake, sweetened with homemade apple sauce.. Because you definitely CAN have cake in the morning :)
Oh, I should mention. Because I don´t sweetened cakes, porridge and other yummy things with sugar anymore ( I REALLY am trying not to) my taste shifted, somehow. This cake has the perfect hint of sweetness, it is not the kind that kills you in the morning. It fills you up, it refreshes you in a good rhubarb-apple-y way.
Oh, and yes. You will enjoy the pinky color of rhubarb when slicing up the cake.
Breakfast Rhubarb Cake with Crumble
Sweetness of this cake mostly depends on the kind of apples you are using, of course.
You can add some honey into your apple sauce, or grated ginger root which releases its sweet taste.
(If you want to omit the apple sauce and go for a sugar - replace apple sauce with 1 1/4 cup sugar)
For the Cake:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup almond meal/ground almonds
1 1/2 cup homemade apple sauce (simply cooked and pureed apples)
60 g butter, melted and cooled (or less, if using more applesauce)
3 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
2 tsp baking powder (I make my own - combining 2 tsp cream of tartar with 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda)
pinch of sea salt
1 1/2 cup beautiful pinky rhubarb, cut into pieces
For the Crumble Topping
3 tbls whole wheat flour
3 tbls chopped almonds
3 tbls old-fashioned oats
2 tbls honey
3 tbls butter
pinch of sea salt
Make the crumble topping by mixing flour, oats, almonds. Then stir in honey and butter until the mixture resembles a nice crumble.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
For the cake, divide egg yolks and egg whites into separate bowls. Mix the egg yolks until they double in size, then add the apple sauce and blend or keep mixing until fluffy. I used blender for this, worked really well. Mix in the melted and cooled butter with almond extract. Fold in the mixture of flour, ground almonds, salt, bicarbonate of soda and gently bring the mixture together. The batter will be a bit sticky. Then fold in the whisked egg whites followed by rhubarb.
Pour the mixture into a baking tin (greased and lined with baking paper), sprinkle over your crumble topping and bake for about 60 minutes.
Serve with a dollop of some nice thick yoghurt and a drizzle of honey.
Store in the fridge.

No comments:
Post a Comment